Crisis Preparation and Recovery
- The PBS Parents website has detailed information about how children of different ages perceive and respond to upsetting events. You’ll find suggestions for helping your child talk about their feelings, as well as strategies to address their fears.
- Mr. Rogers discussion with parents on scary news. You can view a short video featuring him in either English or Spanish.
- Keeping kids safe going to and from school is the topic of this interview, which aired on DPTV in August 2012, featuring DPS Police Chief Roderic Grimes.
- And for a deeper look into teen violence and suicide, a documentary PBS aired called a Cry for Help, has a website with links to a number of resources.
State and Federal Resources
- U.S. Department of Education bulletin from Former Secretary Duncan in December of 2012.
- National Institute of Mental Health – Helping Children and Adolescents Cope with Violence and Disasters.
- American Association of Pediatrics – Disaster preparedness to meet children’s needs.
- Michigan Ok2Say